The C.A.D.E.T. program is designed to give the youth of our community, who may be considering a career in Law Enforcement, the opportunity to experience the day to day operation of the Police Department before having to make a career decision.
The position of Police Cadet is a full time paid position with many benefits including paid college tuition. Cadets must serve a minimum of 18 months (and have reached their 21st birthday) before entering the Police Academy to become a full time Police Officer.
Can you meet these qualifications?
- U.S. Citizen
- No chronic record of misdemeanors. No felony convictions.
- Vision - at least 20/100, correctable to 20/30, normal color.
- Hearing - normal
- Height and weight proportionate
- Minimum 17 1/2 years, maximum, must not have reached 23rd birthday by date of hire.
- Education minimum - High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Valid driver's license
- Must pass the following tests:
- Oral Interview
- PSE - Truth Verification
- Drug Test
- Psychological Test
- Background Investigation
- If not a Wyandotte County resident, you must relocate within 6 months of hire.
- Records and Technology
- Police Training Academy
- Professional Standards Unit
- Property Room
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Teleserve Unit
- Special Enforcement
- Community Policing
- Traffic Support
- Investigations Division
- Operations Bureau
- Animal Control
- Parking Control
- Other Duties as Assigned
- Starting Salary is $1,549.25 a month.
NOTE: Higher education will determine a higher starting salary.
- New Year's Day
- President's Day
- Independence Day
- Memorial Day
- Veteran's Day
- Martin Luther King's Birthday
- Thanksgiving Day and the day after
- Labor Day
- Good Friday
- Vacation after 1 year - 11 days
- Sick leave - 1 1/4 days per month
- Paid Insurance
- Overtime pay
- Paid College Tuition
- Initial uniform issue with a yearly uniform allowance of $200
The City of Kansas City, Kansas is not taking applications for positions in the Police Departments Cadet Program at this time. If you are interested in a law enforcement career, fill out this pre-application form and you will be contacted when applications are being accepted. Pre-application forms will be kept on file until the conclusion of the next available recruitment drive. Applications can be obtained from the Kansas City, Kansas Human Resources Office (913) 573-5660 when the Department is actively recruiting or click here for a printable Cadet Pre-Application Contact Form.