The Kansas City, Kansas Animal Control is a Unit of the Kansas City, Kansas Police Department Community Support Services Division. This Unit provides a unique service to the citizens of the City, by combining activities of a law enforcement agency that protects people and their property with a humane organization that protects animals.
Irresponsible pet ownership and pet over-population are the main reasons that any animal control agency exists. Pets can provide significant benefits for families. When pets are not properly cared for, they can become not only a nuisance, but also a threat to the health and safety of the community.
The Kansas City, Kansas Animal Control Unit has a mission to balance the health, safety and welfare needs of people and animals within the City of Kansas City, Kansas.
The Unified Government of Wyandotte County, Kansas City, Kansas, George Lee Dunn Animal Shelter & Control Facility is located at 3301 Park Drive. The shelter provides humane care for animals impounded until they are returned or reclaimed by their owner, adopted to a new family, or humanely euthanized.
Find us on Facebook
Days and Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm
Adoptable Pets may be seen at the Pestmart in Olathe
Address: 15255 W. 119th St. Olathe, Ks. 66062
Hours: Saturday 11 AM - 3 PM
Sunday 12 PM - 3 PM
Shelter & Contact Information
Shelter Location: 3301 Park Drive, Kansas City, KS 66102
Shelter Contact: Phone: 913-321-1445 Fax: 913-551-0440
Email Complaints: send email
Holidays: Animal Control Shelter is closed on Holidays recognized by Unified Government
The mission of the Kansas City, Kansas Police Animal Control Unit is the protection of people and animals through the promotion and enforcement of responsible pet ownership To accomplish this, Kansas City, Kansas Police Animal Control's responsibilities are:
- To protect human life and health from animals
- To protect property, livestock, and the environment from damage by animals
- To protect the community from the annoyances and hazards that uncontrolled animals create
Adoption Fees For Kansas City, Kansas Resident
$67.00 for Male Dogs
$77.00 for Female Dogs
$35.00 flat fee for Cats
Adoption Fees for Non Kansas City, Kansas Resident
$62.00 for Male Dogs
$72.00 for Female Dogs
$35.00 flat fee for Cats
City License Fee
$10.00 for animals that are spayed/neutered.
$125.00 (one time) permit and $30.00 a year for non spayed/neutered animals.
You must bring proof of rabies vaccination and spay/neuter from your veterinarian to obtain a license.
Pick Up Fee
$85.00 for the first offense.
$110.00 for the second offense.
$135.00 for the third offense
An additional boarding fee of $15.00 will be added per day.
- Increase community awareness & owner responsibility
- Reduce the number of strays / homeless animals
- Promote best practices among all local animal care & protection organizations
- Implement effective public policy and ordinances
- Foster the development of a consortium of partners
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Area Public Shelter & Welfare Organizations
- Animal Control Ordinances & Index
- How to Find a Pet by Petrescue.com
- Humane Way to Discourage Wildlife
- State of Kansas License Information Sheet
- Kansas Animal Health Department KPAA
- Planning for Emergencies with Your Animal
Professional Partners & Helpful Website Links
- Spay & Neuter of Kansas City
- No More Homeless Pets KC
- Wayside Waifs
- The Humane Society of Greater Kansas City
- Kansas Animal Health Department
- Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks
- Petfinder.com "Adopt a Homeless Pet"
- National Animal Control Association
- The Humane Society of the United States
Animal Control Protects You, Your Pet, and Your Community!