Join the Premier Law Enforcement Agency in the Region!
You can learn more about the exciting career opportunity by contacting a recruiter at 913-573-JOIN (5646) or email@example.com
THE BEST AND BRIGHTEST
The Kansas City, Kansas Police Department is looking for the best and brightest individuals - those who have the aptitude and sense of commitment, those who want to help their community, and who want to make a difference. Our goal is to provide the highest level of professional public service to the wide range of ethnic and culturally diverse groups that make up the City of Kansas City, Kansas.
A CAREER WITH A FUTURE
A career with the Kansas City, Kansas Police Department offers: challenge, excitement, variety, teamwork and job satisfaction, opportunities for special assignments and career development, opportunities for promotion, and excellent salary and benefits.
EXCELLENT COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation is determined every three years through negotiations with the Fraternal Order of Police. The current annual base compensation schedule for Patrol Officers is as follows:
|Years of Service||Effective 2011|
|After 2 Years ||$51,896|
|After 5 Years ||$62,746 |
|After 10 Years ||$67,902 |
|After 14 Years ||$69,909|
|After 19 Years ||$72,729 |
|Years of Service||Additional Monthly Pay |
|After 5 Years||$46.03 |
|After 8 Years ||$73.71 |
|After 12 Years ||$101.32|
|After 16 Years ||$140.45 |
|After 20 Years ||$156.63 |
|After 25 Years ||$194.88 |
|Specialty Pay ||Aditional Monthly Pay |
|Training Officer ||$250.00 |
|Bilingual Officer ||$75.00 |
|Crime Scene Specialist ||$30.00 |
|Undercover Narcotics ||$100.00 |
|Canine Handler ||$150.00 |
|Bomb Technician ||$75.00 |
|College Incentive Pay|
|College Credit||Additional Monthly Pay |
|12 Hours||$50.00 |
|Associates Degree||$100.00 |
|Bachelors Degree ||$125.00 |
|Vacation / Holiday / Sick|
|Years of Service ||Paid Vacation ||Paid Holidays ||Paid Sick Time |
|After 1 Year ||3 weeks ||11 days ||15 days |
|After 5 Years ||4 weeks ||11 days ||15 days |
|After 11 Years ||5 weeks ||11 days ||15 days |
|After 19 Years ||6 weeks ||11 days ||15 days|
THE DESIRED APPLICANT
The desired applicant should have a strong commitment to public service and possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Community Policing - a belief that effective policing is accomplished through a genuine partnership between the community and the police.
- Social and Cultural - the ability to communicate in a tactful, articulate and respectful manner, while showing sensitivity and understanding for the ethnically and racially diverse members of the community. Bilingual skills are highly desired.
- Judgment and Integrity - the ability to process information and act appropriately while maintaining high standards of personal conduct including honesty and impartiality.
- Assertiveness and Courage - the ability to take control of situations in a calm and appropriately assertive manner, even under dangerous and adverse conditions.
Police officers are entrusted with the responsibility to keep our city safe from crime and improve the quality of life for all. A history of ethical and moral behavior is of the utmost importance. Previous felony conviction or a history of lesser crimes are cause for disqualification. Your background will be investigated thoroughly.
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- You must be age 21 years old by the date of hire.
- You must possess a high school diploma or GED.
- You must possess a valid drivers license.
- You must have normal hearing and color vision.
- You must have vision at least 20/100 and correctable to 20/30
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
Applications may be obtained in the Human Resources Department of the Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas, 701 N. 7th Street, Room 646 between the hours of 8:30am and 4:00pm Monday thru Friday. The following original documents must be presented with an application:
- Official state certified birth certificate.
- Official high school transcript (sealed envelope).
- Official college transcript - if applicable (sealed envelope).
- Valid drivers license.
- DD-214 - long form (if applicant has prior military experience)
- Pre-employment questionnaire.
All applicants will be fingerprinted when an application is submitted and a criminal background check will be conducted. Out-of-town applicants will be fingerprinted at the time of the written examination.
Applications can be obtained from the Kansas City, Kansas Human Resources Office (913) 573-5660 when the Department is actively recruiting or click here for a printable Officer Pre-Application Contact Form.